Friday, October 24, 2008

Maternity Laws in US, arcane at best!!

Capitalism is in US veins. Great, but to what extent is it justifiable? As a newbie dad, I am getting a ton of baby magazines and I came across this article in BabyTalk.

It is absolutely sad that US, despite being one of the richest countries, does not have good maternity supports to her women. Most of the politicians make big claims about how kids are the future, blah, blah and more blah, but they don't mean squat.

Most states allow you to claim FMLA for 12 weeks but none of this supported with income. Some companies like my ex-employer (Texas Instruments) do it out of their own grace but most do not. My current employer does not entertain even a day's leave. Please feel free to take unpaid is what they say and that's true in my wife's case as well. My wife and I are blessed to have some supplemental income to balance the work and home life styles and could afford the unpaid time off.

But for those single mothers or low-income families, it is a pity that the government left both the mother and child to street. The article above brings to perspective how bad things are here in US. Only 5 out of 174 do not support and US is one among them. Phew!!

No comments: