Monday, July 14, 2008

Neither here nor there!!

It seems that for several people like me who lived in US for 8 or more years experience the 'ghar ka na ghat ka' feeling. I came in here in my early twenties, spent my best productive years in the US. In all those productive years, nostalgia, random party talks and 1 (one) month visits kept folks like me linked to where ever we all came from.

The experience that I have gained here in US has been tremendous. On the flip side, there have been many missed opportunities due to the impractical immigration laws. There are too many problems to list here but the top few are
  • Professional Freedom -- To work where you want and what you want
  • H4 Nightmare -- Spouses of H1 can't work
  • Biased Processing -- Indians and Chinese are left high and dry
While I seem to wait with the hope that there would be a better 'next year' and law-makers will wake up to solve some of the obvious problems, the 'next year' seems more like a writing on the wall. The frustration that you cannot work on a business that you love, work on a technology you love is just immense. Oddly, for the country, this may very well be killing the innovation that might leapfrog the next 'Google' or 'Sun'.

To tackle this, if I look back towards India, it seems a bit daunting. I have lost my network, have to start from scratch and as strange that may seem, the work culture seems a bit foreign. With that in mind, I have just started to rebuild, establish ties, dig links and look for opportunities.

Someday soon, I am hoping to say, I am going home.

No comments: